Sunday, July 14, 2019

Throw Your Stress on the Funeral Pyre!

Since Marie Kondo showed up and told all of us to build the funeral pyre for the things that "don't bring you joy," everyone seems to be on a mission to rid their homes and themselves from excess junk. We, as a society, have certainly buried ourselves in stuff in an effort to comfort and insulate against our high stress levels, off-the-Richter anxiety and revolving door of illnesses. The piling on of things, as Marie points out, only adds to the issues we are trying to alleviate. There is certainly something cathartic about freeing yourself of dust-covered material things, but what about when we finally take the time to clean out the cobwebs and junk stored on the dusty shelves of our minds?

Riding my bikes is one of the most cathartic activities I can do for my mind and soul. I no longer get to do it as often as I'd like, but as I grow older, I am realizing how important it is to reintroduce this to the priority list. In one ride, I feel lighter, stronger, better, freer and have more energy to deal with the ridiculous amounts of stress that try to take me down each week. So, get on your bike and get in a little nature therapy!!! Toss that junk on the funeral pyre along with your mismatched 30-year old house slippers, high-wasted Levi's from the early '80s and that shirtless poster of Marky Mark. You'll feel much better. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment